Monday, March 23, 2009

Early Pacifier Use Leads to Shorter Breastfeeding Duration

Here is an article that tells me something I already pretty much knew. My daughter was an exception to this though. I didn't want her to have a pacifier early but the nurses plopped one in her mouth while I was showering the day after she was born. Luckily for me she still nursed just fine even after the binky. I know some mom's who really struggled with latch issues and some that never did get their baby to latch after pacifier use in the first couple of weeks. A newborn should nurse when they cry and not have a binky. Early pacifier use can cause latch issues, nipple confusion and a low milk supply. Here is the link to the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090316/hl_nm/us_early_breastfeeding

No comments: