Monday, January 4, 2010

What is a Nuchal Cord?

I hear birth stories all the time where people talk about the umbilical cord being around the baby's neck at delivery. This is called a "nuchal cord". I often hear people saying that they were lucky that they had a c-section because of a nuchal cord. Is it really dangerous for the baby to have the cord around its neck? The following is a blog post that references several studies showing that it usually is not an issue when it happens. I personally have seen it a couple of times at births I've been to. I was at the birth of my niece and her cord was wrapped 3 times and because it was very loosely wrapped she just unlooped it before delivering her shoulders.

http://drmomma.blogspot.com/2009/10/umbilical-cord-around-babys-neck.html

No comments: