Friday, December 12, 2008

Talking about alternative therapies

In my last post I talked about chiropractic care and other alternative therapies. This article talks about the numbers of people trying alternative care options. It doesn't really talk about their benefits during pregnancy but they are numerous. Chiropractic can help with the general aches and pains, sciatica, a malpositioned baby and more. I have heard many women say that they went into labor shortly after and adjustment or were adjusted during labor and that their labor picked up afterwards. This didn't work for me but I do know that my labor with my daughter went much more smoothly than my labor with my son and with her I was getting regular adjustments during the last half of my pregnancy and with my son I only went periodically when I was very uncomfortable. There may be something to that.

Accupuncture and accupressure also are beneficial during pregnancy. They can help with morning sickness, turning breech babies, relaxation and I am sure there are other benefits that I still need to learn about. I have never tried accupuncture because the thought of someone sticking needles into my body that don't have to be there is kind of scary.

Herbals are something that you have to be careful with during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I have used herbals for weight loss (in the past), nausea, to try to induce labor which did not work, and to increase my milk supply. There are herbals that are safe for use during pregnancy and can help with morning sickness and nausea but always check with your care provider first.

What have you tried in the form of alternative therapies and did it help you?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28159493/

No comments: